American Heart Month is here and so is Valentine’s Day—what better time to give your heart the love it deserves? Because Vinson Hall Retirement Community serves older adults who want to enjoy an active retirement, we are particularly interested in promoting heart health year round.
Heart disease is a leading cause of death among those over the age of 65, so taking care of your cardiovascular system is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and aging well. In fact, the American Heart Association recently published an article cataloging what doctors wished patients knew about healthy aging, and many of their professional recommendations centered around maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle, staying vigilant if you have a history of heart disease in your family and addressing unhealthy habits.
Eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and avoiding bad habits like smoking can help reduce the risk of heart disease. Regular checkups with your doctor are also crucial to make sure you’re on track with treatments, medications, or lifestyle changes that may be needed if any issues arise.
In recognition of American Heart Month, here are five tips from the team at Vinson Hall Retirement Community to prevent cardiovascular disease and make optimal lifestyle choices:
1. Recognize the risk: Your risks of stroke, high blood pressure or other coronary artery diseases increase as you age, making it critical that you stay aware of your body and make healthy lifestyle choices. Listening to your doctor’s advice and adapting to any changes in your health are key for staying healthy.
2. Keep moving: Heart-healthy aging means staying on the move. Regular physical activity helps keep your cholesterol low, maintains a healthy weight, and prevents blood clots that can lead to stroke. Vinson Hall Retirement Community makes staying active easy, with our fitness center staffed by certified trainers, pool, dance studio, and a myriad of exercise classes to choose from.
3. Stay positive: Heart health isn’t just about diet and exercise, it’s also about emotional well-being. Stress can take a toll on your heart health so make sure you take time for yourself to relax and relieve your worries or anxieties. Keeping a positive outlook on life can also help your heart in the long run. Social activity is one of the best ways to stay positive. Regular meals out with friends, game nights, a daily walking partner—all of these benefits at VHRC support you in every dimension of wellness.
4. Eat well and your heart will thank you: Eating a healthy diet is essential to keeping your heart healthy. Swapping out unhealthy foods like fried foods, processed foods and high-sodium meals for fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains is one of the best things you can do for your heart. And our chefs are here to help! You’ll find a delicious variety of options at a terrific value at our dining venues—and of course, company that is second to none!
5. Keep up with your medical checkups: Heart health isn’t something you want to leave to chance. Your doctor can provide you with more personalized advice on how to keep your heart healthy, answer any questions you have about cholesterol levels and other health factors, and help detect any possible issues in their early stages. At Vinson Hall Retirement Community, you can see your health provider regularly at our Health & Wellness Center on campus. We are here to help you enjoy your best life!
Learn More at Vinson Hall Retirement Community
At Vinson Hall Retirement Community, we understand that retirement is an exciting transition. It's a chance to enjoy the lifestyle you've always wanted and to focus on your own well-being. And of course, well-being means staying on top of your wellness in all its dimensions—body, mind and spirit. We are here to help make the most of your retirement by maintaining a long and active life.
Heart health is a lifelong commitment, but it doesn’t have to be a daunting one. With a supportive environment, you can take an active role in keeping your heart healthy, strong and full of love. Let's make healthy aging a reality—together. To come in for a tour of our residences, fitness center, restaurants and more, contact us at Vinson Hall Retirement Community today! Happy Heart Month!